The Hope Review
Top 10 things you need to know about The Hope pub, Wandsworth:
1) Dead battery, no 3G, or just generally terrible at directions? Relax. Lost cats use this place as a reference point it’s that easy to find. Hop off at Wandsworth Common station (park side) and you’ll see it standing tall opposite the beautifully fresh grass of the common.
2) At the end of 2015 they nailed the new refurb: exposed brick, rustic wooden walls, and great seating areas for decent sized gatherings or one-to-ones utilising the modern lighting spreading a cosy, orange glow across the room.
3) Weeknights you’ll likely be surrounded by locals. Not your red faced, I’ve-been-sitting-at-the-bar-too-long kind of locals, but a Wandsworth Common kind of local, with well-groomed dogs and nice shoes. Yes, they’re dog friendly.
4) If you can leg it out of work early and arrive before 7pm (Mon-Weds), try their craft cocktails for a fiver; worth getting the order in before your date turns up.
5) If it’s mates not dates, let them sort you out with a homemade burger and a beer for under a tenner every Wednesday. Nice to see that trusty duo still kicking about in the London boroughs.
6) Their sourdough bread is an incredibly tasty opener to an even tastier menu. If you’re being indecisive or on a budget, go for 3 small plates for £13. NB; 3 dishes for one person is punchy. They’re big.
7) The confit duck with chutney & toasted bread is brilliantly flavoursome and their squid is cooked perfectly - none of those rubbery-stringy-greasy attempts here.
8) They’ve got the pub classics covered with bangers and mash, fish and chips and shepherd’s pie as larger dishes, all at decent prices but a cut above your usual pub standards.
9) If you’ve never understood the hype about sticky toffee pudding, that ends here. Order it. It’s insane. It definitely deserves a whole point on this list for praise. Don’t order one to share. You need your own, entirely.
10) A younger crowd descends at the weekend, particularly during the summer months thanks to a strong spread of outside seating. Despite the road, it’s a pretty dreamy destination next to the open span of the common. Fresh air, great food and lovely staff; a first-rate find....read more
Customer Reviews for The Hope
Average (based on 2 votes): 2 Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
The following customer reviews are not endorsed by Fluid London and are simply those of users who wish to publish their independent experiences of The Hope.
“Appalling service on a hot Sunday last week. The couple of staff on duty just couldn't cope - long queues at the bar, all glasses hot straight from the washer, grumpy staff attitude. All in all an awful experience - never again.
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
Ian Freeman, London (12 years 3 months 13 days ago)
“I have been going to The Hope for 2 years now and to be honest I havent found anything wrong with it. The food is excellent, the bar staff are friendly and hard working, the atmosphere is good to relax in on a Sunday, or have a heavy one on a Friday. The roast dinners are great, but because of popularity you can sometimes be waiting a while for your food. But well worth the wait.
I recently had to move house due to a break up with a partner, and decided to stay in the are due to The Hope! Posssibly not a good sign, but worth it.”
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
Ben Francis, Wandsworth (12 years 11 months 3 days ago)
Leave Your Review of The Hope
|Value for Money rating:|
Characters remaining: 2600
|Subscribe to the Fluid e-newsletter:||Get the hottest special offers, bar info and restaurant news first. You can unsubscribe at any time. We take your privacy very seriously and will never share your details with third parties witout your consent.|
Your review has been submitted. Once you have verified your e-mail address, it will be displayed on the site.
- Cuisine Type: Pub
- Dress Code: Not Specified
- Music Style:
- Group: (Independent/Freehouse)
The Hope has yet to supply us with with a public email address. You can telephone them on 0208 672 8717 (please mention Fluid London when calling).
Send a link of The Hope to a friend
|Send to email|
Enter the number shown above:
I agree to the Terms & Conditions
If this is your first message through the Fluid London, before your enquiry is sent to the venue, you will recieve a message asking you to confirm your email address. This is to prevent fraudulent enquiries and bookings.
A link to The Hope on Fluid London has been sent.
Please note that Fluid London has no affiliation with any venues listed on our websites
The Hope Map
Nearby Pubs & Bars