The Petersham Review
Book a table at The Petersham
The Petersham is featured in these Guides:
Top 10 things to know about The Petersham:
1) For those horticulturally-inclined, a visit to Richmond is a must; Kew Gardens and Richmond Park are major highlights of the area. The Petersham restaurant is another to add to this list thanks to the uninterrupted views of the river Thames and Petersham Meadows from every table.
2) Out in the "countryside", parking isn't an issue; they have an abundance of space on the well-manicured grounds of The Petersham hotel.
3) Before entering the restaurant, take a slight detour around the hotel. It isn't the worst idea in the world. It’s a beautiful building to admire from the exterior, and once inside, there’s a sweeping, grand staircase to gasp at, and ornate antiques dotted throughout the venue to add a touch of Britishness to the proceedings.
4) The plated dishes are as picturesque as anything you’ll see in Kew Gardens and that’s no surprise given head chef, Jean-Didier Gouges, was formerly head chef for Rhubarb Food Design at The Royal Albert Hall. He also produces his own brand of chocolates.
5) You might have previously seen carvery trolleys delivering your Sunday roast, but here even the finest smoked salmon from Inverawe, Scotland is finely sliced in front of your eyes from atop a shimmering silver trolley. Classy!
6) There is a distinct earthy focus to the menu; from pickled mushrooms and edible worms in their signature, Lost in the Forest starter, to an edible soil in their chocolate délice.
7) Some of the main courses resemble a patch of garden, such as the colourful plots of beetroot, carrot purée, morels and girolles surrounding the sturdy-looking Angus beef steak fillet.
8) The marriage of the ingredients is a picture of harmony; vanilla and apple purée cutting through the heaviness of confit pork belly, whilst the crispy texture of pancetta tuile contrasts superbly with the softness of scallops.
9) Talking of dreamy combinations, there can be no better ending than a ginger and pear soufflé accompanied by an enticing dollop of blood orange sorbet. You can tell chef Jean-Didier has given careful consideration to how the ingredients are paired together in every dish.
10) People rarely dress up when dining out these days, but The Petersham is one of those rare classic venues at which dressing to impress is a simple joy. Save a little admiration for those stunning views and sumptuous food though....read more
Customer Reviews for The Petersham
Average (based on 1 votes): 1 Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
The following customer reviews are not endorsed by Fluid London and are simply those of users who wish to publish their independent experiences of The Petersham.
“A delightful afternoon tea on a hot sunny day overlooking a fabulous view of the River Thames. How terribly splendid! My lady friends and I shall be back in no time.”
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
Lesley, Kingston (9 years 10 months 6 days ago)
Leave Your Review of The Petersham
|Value for Money rating:|
Characters remaining: 2600
|Subscribe to the Fluid e-newsletter:||Get the hottest special offers, bar info and restaurant news first. You can unsubscribe at any time. We take your privacy very seriously and will never share your details with third parties witout your consent.|
Your review has been submitted. Once you have verified your e-mail address, it will be displayed on the site.
- Cuisine Type: British
- Group: (Independent/Freehouse)
Special offers, discounts and deals at The Petersham
Type: Breakfast Special Offer
Type: Dinner, Lunch, Weekend Special Offer
Type: Afternoon tea Special Offer
The Petersham has yet to supply us with with a public email address. You can telephone them on 020 8939 1084 (please mention Fluid London when calling).
Send a link of The Petersham to a friend
|Send to email|
Enter the number shown above:
I agree to the Terms & Conditions
If this is your first message through the Fluid London, before your enquiry is sent to the venue, you will recieve a message asking you to confirm your email address. This is to prevent fraudulent enquiries and bookings.
A link to The Petersham on Fluid London has been sent.
Please note that Fluid London has no affiliation with any venues listed on our websites
The Petersham Map
Nearby Pubs & Bars