The Phoenix Review
Book a table at The Phoenix
Top 10 things you need to know about The Phoenix:
1) A visit to The Phoenix might just teach you how to continue your love of regular pub visits and yet still emerge with a gym fit beach body.
2) Choosing a pub on top of a hill - in this case, Denmark Hill - will help burn off the calories; unless you arrive by train that is: the pub is situated directly above Denmark Hill train station.
3) You can partake in more physical exertion once inside: ascend their lengthy, elegant spiral staircase leading to further cosy drinking spaces and a spectacular wall mural of a legendary phoenix.
4) Don’t forget those superfood buzzwords. You might have an affection for tender chicken skewers, but at least make sure to combine them with healthy companions like quinoa salad.
5) Yes, pubs still put bangers and mash and fish and chips on their menus, otherwise there'd be riots; but you can always go for the classier pan-fried sea bass with crunchy British asparagus. It might require some thought reconfiguration, but healthy can also be tasty. Plus, thankfully, prices for mains are only around the slim £10 mark.
6) Admittedly, desserts are the arch-nemesis of the perfect body, so choose their lemon and wild blueberry ricotta cheesecake with British strawberry compote. With three fruits in one dish, it goes some way to filling your five-a-day quota.
7) If the nearby King's College Hospital were going to prescribe the perfect gin and tonic, it probably would be as follows: classic British Sipsmith gin combined with rhubarb lemonade to offer cathartic relief, and Earl Grey tea to offer a soothing sensation.
8) The clientele are mostly people who commute to the hospital for work or those who are returning home from work since they’ve been priced out of buying or renting in posher South London areas like Clapham or Battersea.
9) Whether you’re a health freak or a fast food fanatic, service is suitably non-judgemental and efficient. The staff are just as delighted whether you order a bottle of sparkling water or a magnum of champagne and will joyfully converse with you in the friendliest manner possible.
10) Lesson learnt from a visit to The Phoenix: pubs are not the enemy of the modern man, much like your trusty canine companion, they can be a man's best friend too....read more
Customer Reviews for The Phoenix
Average (based on 2 votes): 2 Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
The following customer reviews are not endorsed by Fluid London and are simply those of users who wish to publish their independent experiences of The Phoenix.
“Best pub inside a train station ever! Loads of unusual character, which is so frequently missing from many a gastropub. And the transport connections couldn’t be any better really. Never looks like it’s busy, even though it should be. Great selection of interesting beers and a fairly decent menu too. Perfect outdoor seating for late summer afternoons because it is west-facing.”
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
Tasha Nabbs, Dulwich (11 years 1 months 8 days ago)
“Yes, the Phoenix was a great pub. I used to live nearby and i was a local. I came back last Tuesday for a pint, something to eat and have a nice evening with a friend to find that the food was overpriced for the quality which i would say is a 3 out of 10 and the staff was rude. Thank to God the beer is still very good, otherwise i would say it is not worth to going there.
It is a pitty as i thought before it was one of the best pubs in south London.”
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
Marta, London (12 years 9 months 23 days ago)
Leave Your Review of The Phoenix
|Value for Money rating:|
Characters remaining: 2600
|Subscribe to the Fluid e-newsletter:||Get the hottest special offers, bar info and restaurant news first. You can unsubscribe at any time. We take your privacy very seriously and will never share your details with third parties witout your consent.|
Your review has been submitted. Once you have verified your e-mail address, it will be displayed on the site.
- Cuisine Type: Pub
- Dress Code: Not Specified
- Group: (Independent/Freehouse)
The Phoenix has yet to supply us with with a public email address. You can telephone them on 020 7701 8282 (please mention Fluid London when calling).
Send a link of The Phoenix to a friend
|Send to email|
Enter the number shown above:
I agree to the Terms & Conditions
If this is your first message through the Fluid London, before your enquiry is sent to the venue, you will recieve a message asking you to confirm your email address. This is to prevent fraudulent enquiries and bookings.
A link to The Phoenix on Fluid London has been sent.
Please note that Fluid London has no affiliation with any venues listed on our websites
The Phoenix Map
Nearby Pubs & Bars