The Volunteer Review
Book a table at The Volunteer
The Volunteer is featured in these Guides:
Top 10 things you need to know about The Volunteer:
1) “The Volunteer is haunted,” I’d been told prior to journeying there on a dark and stormy night (well, it was actually rather mild and pleasant). The pub stands on the former seventeenth century house of the Neville family near Baker Street and, on occasion, there have been sightings of Richard Neville’s ghost.
2) Naturally, my companion and I were terrified. Journalistic integrity won over though and we bravely (I thought) entered. We assumed it would be a desolate and dusty tavern, with walls covered in worrying blood stains. In fact, The Volunteer was very pleasant to look at: lots of dark furnishing, fabulously patterned wallpaper and comfy chairs.
3) Instead of an empty pub with a creaky staircase and a barman who looked like he died 70 years ago, it was completely full of people and chatter. For a Tuesday this seemed pretty impressive. The crowd were a mix of larger drinking groups and a few date nights there for the food, wine and a bit of hand holding.
4) Instead of making us want to run away in terror, The Volunteer had that cosy pub vibe that makes you want to hole up for hours, drinking ales and maybe playing a few board games, which naturally they provide.
5) We walked to the bar expecting to see a row of dusty bottles filled with unidentified liquids of a poisonous hue, but were faced with a good ale selection and a very tasty house red (that didn’t taste at all like blood).
6) So far, so un-creepy. Maybe the food would be conjured by supernatural forces; eyeball mains and spider amuse-bouche etc. Thankfully, though, the food was, well, just great.
7) In fact, if the ghost of Richard Neville had appeared I would’ve assumed he was there for the slow cooked barbecued ribs, which fell of the bone in an utterly delicious manner.
8) The mushrooms on toast starter in a Stilton sauce was rich, creamy and fantastic.
9) The raspberry and peach crumble, of which I could only eat a few mouthfuls due to the generous portion sizes, hit just the right note of tartness.
10) All in all, The Volunteer had delicious food and a great pub atmosphere. Those who seek ghosts and ghouls will have to look elsewhere I’m afraid. I hear the Spaniards Inn in Hampstead has a couple....read more
Customer Reviews for The Volunteer
Average (based on 2 votes): 2 Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
The following customer reviews are not endorsed by Fluid London and are simply those of users who wish to publish their independent experiences of The Volunteer.
“Friendly bar staff, meal very good value, nice and hot. Enjoyable surroundings.”
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
Maureen Gale, Warminster (10 years 6 months 25 days ago)
“Fantastic ideal bar in Baker Street; good food good seletions of wines….
I live just round the corner and after visiting other bars in the area, the Volunteer is what I needed; very welcoming and friendly Staff and have lot attentions for details especially Rebecca and Nozima.”
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
giuseppe, london (10 years 11 months 20 days ago)
Leave Your Review of The Volunteer
|Value for Money rating:|
Characters remaining: 2600
|Subscribe to the Fluid e-newsletter:||Get the hottest special offers, bar info and restaurant news first. You can unsubscribe at any time. We take your privacy very seriously and will never share your details with third parties witout your consent.|
Your review has been submitted. Once you have verified your e-mail address, it will be displayed on the site.
- Cuisine Type: Pub
- Dress Code: Not Specified
- Group: (Independent/Freehouse)
The Volunteer has yet to supply us with with a public email address. You can telephone them on 020 7486 4091 (please mention Fluid London when calling).
Send a link of The Volunteer to a friend
|Send to email|
Enter the number shown above:
I agree to the Terms & Conditions
If this is your first message through the Fluid London, before your enquiry is sent to the venue, you will recieve a message asking you to confirm your email address. This is to prevent fraudulent enquiries and bookings.
A link to The Volunteer on Fluid London has been sent.
Please note that Fluid London has no affiliation with any venues listed on our websites
The Volunteer Map
Nearby Pubs & Bars