The Albany Review
Book a table at The Albany
The Albany is featured in these Guides:
Some reflections on the role of pubs in British society vis a vis The Albany:
1) Dreams quashed in boardrooms; hours under a strip light typing status reports; your head nestled under a stranger's armpit on the Northern line; five days in London can be a harsh place and that’s why pubs were invented. At 17.30 on a Friday your shaking hand can grasp victory in the form of a drink.
2) The Albany Pub next to Great Portland Street Tube station is a lovely old boozer that’s been spruced up and, on a Friday night, you’ll find swathes of Londoners having their brows un-creased in the time honoured fashion, with drinking, eating and moaning.
3) There’s plenty of craft beer and ale; or choose a cocktail with a British vibe. Dusk combines vodka, peach and cold brewed Jasmine tea; tea and alcohol need to be combined more often.
4) If you want to drive fist-first into a bag of crisps splayed open on the table, you can, but The Albany ups the game with a huge food menu.
5) There’s a combination of snacks, sandwiches and full meals made with well sourced ingredients like British pork fed on cider orchard apples.
6) You can order titbits like croquettes but traditionalists need not fear, there is plenty hot meat on offer like braised short rib of beef - Flintstones big with meat that can be cut with a fork.
7) The dessert menu is filled with temptations. They are kind enough to offer the profiteroles as a giant treat for two people, but it’s acceptable to have it to yourself.
8) You will find a hidden treasure underneath The Albany, too. The Other Place is a burger bunker and events space (think ale house meets diner). You might be able to couple a fish finger bap with belly dancing or ukulele jams.
9) Sundays at The Albany promise to be an old fashioned epic; a gravy-splattered board games fest that can last all day into the evening.
10) London pubs are great places. Chances are you’ve had some major events in a pub - hearts mended, friends married, or time passed pretending to be walking the dog. Comfort food, good drinks and space to unwind; The Albany is a reminder why we’ll always say “meet for a pint” and not “fancy a coffee?”...read more
Customer Reviews for The Albany
Average (based on 1 votes): 1 Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
The following customer reviews are not endorsed by Fluid London and are simply those of users who wish to publish their independent experiences of The Albany.
“Formerly the Fitz & Firkin, this pub was redecorated in around aug/nov 2002, in a subtle shade of ''undercoat'' some trendy seats were added and the lighting budget was blown on ONE star shaped arrangement which needs lots of lightbulbs.
There are one or two gaming machines in the corner, handy for those of us who missed the amusement arcade, and are too lazy to leave.
The food in this bar is quite good but very expensive for the quantitiy supplied. Beers are good and staff are friendly, MUCH better than the staff that ran this venue in its Firkin days.
The seating arrangemnets are poor and this poses a problem on Fridays when it fills to capacity with young and not so young guys and gals. The music is AWFUL, trendy winebar repetitive thumpin ("is that CD scratched?")
The folks who visit here on friday are invariably on their way somewhere, and things tend to calm down a bit aroung 9:30 ish.
Do not expect to meet your future spouse here as cross-group communication is frowned upon
Atmosphere: Value: Quality:
TELEFRAG, [ Unknown ] (17 years 1 months 11 days ago)
Leave Your Review of The Albany
|Value for Money rating:|
Characters remaining: 2600
|Subscribe to the Fluid e-newsletter:||Get the hottest special offers, bar info and restaurant news first. You can unsubscribe at any time. We take your privacy very seriously and will never share your details with third parties witout your consent.|
Your review has been submitted. Once you have verified your e-mail address, it will be displayed on the site.
- Cuisine Type: British
- Dress Code: Not Specified
- Group: (Independent/Freehouse)
Special offers, discounts and deals at The Albany
Type: Burger Promotions, Merchant Platform Generated, Dinner, Eat out from £10 to £20, Fixed price Menu, Lunch Special Offer
The Albany has yet to supply us with with a public email address. You can telephone them on 020 7387 0221 (please mention Fluid London when calling).
Send a link of The Albany to a friend
|Send to email|
Enter the number shown above:
I agree to the Terms & Conditions
If this is your first message through the Fluid London, before your enquiry is sent to the venue, you will recieve a message asking you to confirm your email address. This is to prevent fraudulent enquiries and bookings.
A link to The Albany on Fluid London has been sent.
Please note that Fluid London has no affiliation with any venues listed on our websites
The Albany Map
Nearby Pubs & Bars